Types of Injectables
Most injectables fall into the category of “fillers” and are designed to fill in wrinkles and depressions in the face. Fillers include such products as Restylane®, Juvéderm®, Sculptra™, Perlane®, ArteFill®, and Radiesse®. These injectables disappear after a period of time.
BOTOX® and Dysport™ are slightly different in that they weaken the facial muscles, thus lessening the appearance of wrinkles and frown lines.
As you read the following, you will probably find that more than one of these products addresses your concerns. Patients often have a facial filler and BOTOX® or Dysport™ injections done at the same time. When you meet with Tracy or with one of our injectable team members, he or she will able to advise you as to which product or products will best help you achieve your desired result.
- BOTOX®: BOTOX® (Botulinum toxin) is a neurotoxin drug that acts by temporarily blocking nerve pulses in facial muscles. It tends to be most effective in muscles related to expression lines around the eyes, forehead, and mouth. It is often effective in areas where fillers may not be. BOTOX® is a very safe and effective injectable and therefore very popular among patients.
- Dysport™: Dysport™ relaxes facial muscles. It is made with the same ingredient as BOTOX®—botulinum toxin type A—but in a different formulation. Like BOTOX®, it tends to be most effective in treating wrinkles caused by muscles related to expression lines around the eyes, forehead, and mouth.
- Juvéderm®: This product is a dermal filler that is based on hyaluronic acid and works together with the body’s own hyaluronic acid to create volume. Allergan officially released the product in January 2007, and LJCSC was a testing site. Studies show that results last up to 6–12 months. Juvéderm® is effective for the nasolabial folds, under the eyes, between the eyebrows, and for lip plumping.
- Perlane®: This dermal filler is the newest member of the Restylane® family. The difference in Perlane® is the gel particle size. Perlane® gel particles are larger and designed for deeper injection than Restylane®. It works well for severe facial wrinkles and folds.
- Radiesse®: Another product within the “filler” category, Radiesse® is made up of calcium hydroxiapatite (CaHA), a primary component of teeth and bones. No skin testing is required. This product has a thicker consistency and is best for deeper nasolabial folds and rebuilding hollow areas. The consistency of this product allows it to last longer than most fillers, up to a year or longer.
- Restylane®: Next to BOTOX®, Restylane® is the second most common injectable. It is a hyaluronic acid filler that plumps up creases under the skin. Restylane® is similar to Juvéderm®. This filler is also used for nasolabial folds, under the eyes and between eyebrows Patients experience results that can last up to six months. Restylane® is the most popular product for creating fuller-looking lips.
Triangle Injectables of Cary is conveniently located in Cary. Come and see us!